Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer Fish

Summer dishes have always been a challenge for me. My taste buds tend to lean towards the flavors of winter, those cozy soups and hearty meatloafs, but when the weather outside is in the mid-90s and muggy last thing you want to do is cozy up with a Shepard's pie. So lately I've been flexing my culinary muscles and trying new dishes that are lighter and fresher. 

Last night I made this Bon Appetite recipe that looked like a lot of fun. Wrapping my meal in little parchment paper pouches and letting them do all the work? Sign me up!
The recipe called for summer squash, fresh basil and cherry tomatoes, and shallots. I have a secret love affair with shallots going on, they make everything you put them into taste delicious. 
Layer all that goodness in the middle of your parchment paper and top with salt, pepper, and olive oil...
Then you top it with your fish, I used tilapia since that's what they had at my grocery store, and top it with more salt, pepper, and olive oil.
This was the fun part, folding the parchment paper and creating little pouches for the fish to cook in. Stick them in the oven and let all those flavors cook into the fish. In the mean time Jack was working on his Mountain Dew box...
and Tony was reading to me the happenings of the day...
Unfold your parchment paper and your dinner awaits you. I actually had to put in the fish a little longer than the recipe suggested because I think I didn't wait for the oven to fully pre-heat...my bad. 
On the side I made a baked potato with our favorite toppings: butter, sour cream, pepper, and a little bit of black sea salt. I know, some people are like, "black sea salt?", trust me it's nommy.
And dinner is done! The vedgies tasted great since they were cooked with all that olive oil/white wine goodness and the fish came out nice and flaky. For a light summer dish that's quick and easy clean up, I give this one two thumbs up!

See the recipe here

*All photos taken by me*