Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tummy Troubles in Puppy Land

Yesterday I spent the day watching this little guy because he woke us up early in the morning sick.

I'll spare you the descriptive details, but it was enough for me to call the vet and head over there for the first appointment she had available. Turns out Jack is a dog with a sensitive stomach, which does not work with his constant need to scavenge goodies every where he goes. The vet prescribed him a special food for a month and a probiotic to help his tummy get back to normal. Then she gave me the strict warning to be very careful with what he eats in the future because his tummy is a "delicate" one. 

So I came home from the vet feeling sad for my puppy and his tummy troubles, and even sadder that it was partly my fault since I didn't recognize that he is prone to issues to begin with. In a nutshell, I felt like a bad "dog mom". What in the world am I going to do when I have kids?
To help him feel better I gathered up all the toys that I had been putting away in the closet over the past couple of weeks that he had ripped holes in. I took them away to stop him from eating any of it and put them away in what my husband calls "Jack's Toy Hospital". I spent the afternoon stitching up every hole I could find while he eagerly watched me and jumped around the room in excitement.
Needless to say, he was very happy to have all his toys back. This was basically the way he slept the rest of the day, surrounded by all of his long lost toys.

So that was my day yesterday. I'm glad that we figured it out early on in his life, which means I'm basically going to be OCD about what he eats to prevent yesterday's bought of the squirts (sorry). Do any of you have pets with special tummy issues? What have you been doing to prevent them?


1 comments:

laura g said...

Aw poor pup! Hope he feels better soon--and yes, its best you know about it now xx