Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our little one is here! A Birth Story

Hello friends!

I know I've been MIA for a little while from the blog. The past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind and I've finally been able to sit down and create a post to share it all with you!

Our baby boy arrived on March 17th and we are head over heels in love! My original due date was March 10th and when the date whooshed by without any hint of contractions I was bummed. I spent the whole week trying everything from eating spicy foods to going on long walks to help bring on labor...
Here I am the day before I reached 41 weeks taking a walk with Jack and my husband hoping to get things going! Well it worked because at 1:30 am that night I started having contractions :-) Everyone told me that it could take hours of laboring at home until you reached the point of having to go to the hospital, but within 2 hours my contractions were already 7 minutes apart and lasting a full minute. A phone call to our doctor later we were on our way to the hospital. 

Once we arrived at the hospital I was admitted right away already measuring at 4cm. After a few hours of laboring I went ahead and requested the epidural, oh sweet relief! I was so exhausted having not slept since the night before and welcomed a chance to rest a bit until the really hard work began.

Finally it was time to push! My husband and sister were my birthing coaches and they were amazing, encouraging me during the whole two hours that it took for him to arrive. I was exhausted, my head was spinning from everything that just happened, and deliriously happy to finally meet our son.
Say hello to William Alexander! Our family was waiting in the waiting room during the whole process, so when he was wheeled out to the nursery he did so to the sounds of applause and laughter...not a bad way to start your first hour of life :-) 
Our first family portrait thanks to my lovely sister who was able to capture this amazing moment in our lives in between telling me to push and following William as the nurses cleaned him off. 

Since then I've been home hanging out with this little human being who I find so interesting that I pretty much just stare at him all day. Yep, I've become a starer. I now have two men in my life that I am completely obsessed with...
Life is pretty darn awesome if you ask me.

0 comments: