Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why Thank You Paul Deen!


If you had told me a week ago that I would make a chicken pot pie, I would have told you that you were off your rocker, but alas, I've done it! Over the weekend, my Food Network obsessed mom told me about this recipe that she saw on Paula Deen's cooking show. It's called "Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie", by far one of the easiest recipes I have ever tried. The pot pie came out perfect, in fact, my husband told me that it was one of the best things I've ever made...yep, this one's a keeper. Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
2 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
Salt and pepper, optional
1 1/2 cup instant biscuit mix
1 cup milk
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chicken broth

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, and peas.
3. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole.
5. Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy


*Mangonett's tips and tricks:
- Begin by boiling your eggs, because this takes a little while.
- When your eggs are half way done, start cooking your chicken. I like to use my foreman grill, but you basically just need to cook it up.
- I heated up the chicken broth and cream of chicken in a skillet pan, instead of salt & pepper, I added a little bit of New Orleans flavor by seasoning with Tony Chachere's (you can pick it up at your local grocery store).
- I added a little bit more peas and chicken than the recipe called for just because I wanted a little bit more meat and Mango loves peas.
- If you use the Jiffy Biscuit Mix, you are basically going to use the whole box for this recipe. The mix is going to look thin when you pour it on the pot pie, don't worry, it will rise up.

0 comments: