Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Martha's 6 Things to Do Everyday

In the very beginning of her book, Martha lists 6 Things to Do Everyday that will make home keeping a little easier. As I read through them I thought to myself, "This is pretty easy! I can do this!". I, unfortunately, was one of those people that would procrastinate until the weekend to tidy up clutter. So for the past 3 weeks I've started implementing this little routine in the hopes that it would become an unconscious habit. While it's still not automatic, I have to say that I have been able to stick to it and the house is clutter free and feels a lot cleaner throughout the week. Which in turn makes me less stressed out...bonus! So here they are,

6 Things You Should Do Everyday:

1. Make the bed
- It makes the room feel more orderly, in turn, making it less likely for you to let other things pile up.
2. Manage clutter
- Before you leave the room or at the end of the night, take a look around and tidy up any clutter you might see.
3. Sort the mail
- Rather than letting it pile up, sort through it immediately. It helps to have a trash bin right next to you to throw away unwanted mail.

4. Clean as you cook
- This was a big one for me, as I am like an artist that gets paint all over themselves while they create. I am a messy cook. While your cooking, put things in the dishwasher or wash up pots and pans right away. As a result, you won't have a sink full of dishes at the end of the night.
5. Wipe up spills while they are fresh.
- Crusty spots are not cute.
6. Sweep the kitchen floor
- It is absolutely amazing to me how much dust accumulates on the floor in just a matter of a day. If you sweep every day, it makes the house feel a whole lot cleaner during the week before mop day.

Image via .V

2 comments:

Mrs. J L said...

This is so true! It sure does make the house feel and look more clean. I use to be horrible at making the bed but since I moved in with my hubby, we have made it a habit and it feels good to come home everyday to a picked up house. Its benificial in all angles! :)

keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

That is a great list... although, I have never been one to clean as I cook. My free hand is always holding a glass of wine because meals just turn out that much better if the cook is relaxed. And plus, when I married the deal was I cook - you clean Mr.! It works 75% of the time...