Thursday, March 26, 2009

Get to Work

I've got home offices on the mind lately. Why? Well, with school starting up soon I have come to the stark realization that I will be spending a lot more time in my home office. In order to make my time more enjoyable, I'm thinking a little revamping is in order.

It was as if the blog goddess Cassandra heard my cry when she began her Style (E)scapes series, starting off with home offices. The series has featured some of our favorite bloggers and their amazing work spaces. I'm loving all of the innovative ideas for storage, for instance, re-purposing a small crystal vase as a pencil holder or a vintage ash try for paper clips. This weekend I'm thinking I'm going to dedicate some time to making the office more "comfy".

Click here to read the story of one woman's journey to a tidier home office. The article speaks about how with today's job market, more and more people are spending time in their home offices, requiring them to rethink their work space. The designer that was hired to help with the space suggested thinking about "how" you work and adapting the space to fit those needs. Personally, I'm one of those people that needs to see everything, but at the same time can't work around clutter...quite an odd one aren't I?

Here were some of her tips for a little bit more breathing room:
1. Clear the clutter and get rid of things you will not use.

2. Lighting is key! You should have an overhead light for general illumination, task lighting at your desk, and accent lighting to create a more inviting space.

3. Choose similar containers to make the space look organized and make sure they fit what you need to put in them.

4. Get the best chair you can afford. I like how she put it, "It's like your bed, you spend a ton of time in it".

5. Always have extras of whatever you run out of on hand.

6. Don't forget to include pieces that inspire you, like flowers and art.

Images via Domino and Coco+Kelley

1 comments:

Jen said...

i have been glued to my computer screen this week following coco&kelly's office series...i love it! :) so many gorgeous spaces and so much awesome inspiration.