Monday, August 17, 2009

Clean and Homemade

After taking inventory of my cleaning supply caddy this weekend, I've discovered that my cleaning supplies are running low...this is perfect. After reading this book and constantly running across articles online, I've been wanting to try my hand at making some of my own cleaning solutions. Being that I handle toxic chemicals on a regular basis at work, the thought of spraying them all over my house while I'm cleaning didn't exactly get me too excited. Thanks to Martha and some other great sites, I've been able to find some recipes for some simple cleaners. Best part, you can customize the scents that they leave behind (relaxing lavender anyone? or energizing citrus?) and apparently, they help you save money. Ok, I'm sold, sign me up!

One thing I use all the time is an all purpose cleaner. In an effort to be green, I was using this, but thanks to a post on Design*Sponge, I've found a recipe that I'm just aching to try. It looks pretty simple, some of the supplies I already have at home and others I'm going to have to hunt down, but I'm willing to give it a try:

Homemade All-Purpose Spray
by Sophie Ulliano

The Goods:
-1 empty 32 oz. spray bottle
-3/4 c. Distilled White Vinegar
-1 c. Hydrogen Peroxide
-1 1/2 tsp. Castille Soap (Such as Dr. Bronner )
-30 drops Tea Tree Oil
-30 drops Essential Oil of choice
(some of my favorite choices include lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, lemon verbena, spearmint, clove, cinnamon, anise, sage, grapefruit, lemon, and lime; experiment with one or a combo and see what scent makes you want to get lean and clean!)


The Deal:
-Place all ingredients into the spray bottle using a funnel or measuring cup with a spout.-Add water until contents reach top of bottle.-Shake vigorously and use with abandon!

Happy cleaning!

2 comments:

I ♥ You said...

Congrats! You won the You & Me poster on my blog!! Email me so I can get the poster in the mail to you today!

Sugar & Spice said...

I love cleaning! Can't wait to try out this all purpose cleaner recipe!