Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pizza Love

I love to make pizza, there, I said it. Pizza is probably my favorite food now that I think about it. Sure I get all excited when we order it (hello Papa Johns) or when we visit a really good local pizzeria, but lately, I'm obsessed with making my own.
Those nights when I have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner, pizza is always my go-to option. Mango and I love to come up with interesting toppings, some have turned out fabulous and others not so well.
Usually we go with the tomatoe sauce variety, but this week I decided to try something a little different and came up with one of my favorite combos so far. Instead of your usual tomatoe sauce, we went with pesto sauce...it was heavenly.
Have you ever tried making your own pizza? What's your favorite combination of toppings?


Mangonett's Shrimp, Pesto, and Spinach Pizza

Olive oil cooking spray

1 can of 14 oz. Pillsbury Pizza Crust (thin crust)

2-4 tbsp. pesto sauce

3/4 pound shrimp

fresh spinach

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano

salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cooking spray on pan. Fold out your pizza crust on pan and pre-bake your pizza crust for 5 minutes and remove from oven.

2. Spread about 2-4 tbsp. of pesto sauce on your pizza depending on how much pesto you like. Layer your fresh spinach depending on how much you like. Add garlic and shrimp.

3. Sprinkle cheese on pizza (this is Mango's technique, it keeps everything on the pizza once it's baked due to the melted cheese...he's a smart one my husband).

4. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper.

5. Bake until the crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy!

0 comments: