Thursday, June 2, 2011

In the news...

If you haven't heard about it yet in the Twitter-sphere, check out this article that came out in the NY Times discussing the new online shelter mags like Lonny, High Gloss, Rue, and Matchbook.

I was excited to see them recognized in a publication like the NY Times, however like many fans, the article had me cringing at certain points and sometimes just pouting at the tone. The overall feeling I got from the article was that these online magazines are being noticed, but still being met with the skepticism that the online design community has always been met with. The article also spoke about how all the magazines tend to be very similar in presentation and the stories reported.

I thought the reply made by Grace Bonney from Design*Sponge was pretty much on point when it came to this. Personally, I enjoy reading all of them and I recognize that they are all still very new, and will eventually discover their own unique voice in time. Online shelter magazines offer those of us looking for ways to transform the everyday into something that much more special, a way and an inspiration to do it...and they're free! It's the very reason why multitudes of people look to design blogs in the first place! Inspiration and new content constantly streaming to us wherever we are.

Skeptics or not, I think design blogs and online mags rule.

0 comments: